Wednesday, October 28, 2009

What if I can't hang on to it?

I was thinking the next post would happen sooner and be more about loving-kindness meditation because there's much more to say and I basically side-stepped that last time. But right now I am investigating what I am currently experiencing like a good student of vipassana: two things I bring home tonight from our last meeting of meditation class.

One from our handout:
"Celebrate returning. Meditation practice is about returning again and again. Sometimes it's about returning to the next breath, sometimes it's about returning to meditation after a lapse. We can learn to recognize our lapses and return to our breath or our practice--not with condemnation--but celebration."

One a little personal insight:
Instinctively when time is pressing and lists are growing I think moving faster is the way through. If I can really convince myself this instinct is misguided and slow down enough to regain clarity, simplifying is a natural outcome. Believe it.

I had a mystical window there for a month or so. I had time to pour myself into this class and regular practice of what I was learning, almost every day. I was more aware of myself and others moving through the day. I had time to spend with Theo and Dora. I had time to make sure there wasn't anything rotting in the fridge, I had time to see a good friend once a week or maybe every two weeks, I had time to create some paper and textile things I almost caught up on reconciling our bank account I had time to take on a new project designing interior space I adjusted to the new online signup routine for my lifeline of yoga I started working on halloween costumes way early so that I'd have plenty of time to finish them carefully I have to remember to write a note to my father's close friend diagnosed with a brain tumor I want to stay involved with the art class and the library at school but it's so much time

what has happened everything has sped up and is running together and I am right back to that struggle of how to find time to take care of everything and everyone much less to make time for the thinking and not-thinking of meditation.
what can I do to bolster up my friend who is in the middle of a terrible divorce
what about the friends I haven't had time to call or see
what was I thinking saying I could do this design work everything is needed yesterday and I am so rusty
the build up of cat hair is making my eyes itch
one of the cats has an abscess and requires antibiotics and swabbing twice a day and being enclosed in a place where she won't ooze on the furniture until she heals who bit her?
the halloween costumes--how do I make this wire-frame felt-covered pumpkin head with eyes that glow??
oh my god the floors, the toilets, the litter boxes, the laundry
what shall I plan for the next meal to nourish my family so we stay healthy
how is dora's cold she is still blowing out gobs of snot is she getting better or worse?
my wrist is so sore and does not seem to be getting stronger will it ever not hurt?
will the kids get the flu? I didn't get them to the clinic last week now they are out of vaccine again . . .
I can't stay up to work on any of this stuff now I need to go to sleep

I am definitely lapsing. I look forward to celebrating my return.

2 comments:

  1. You will. You can, because you have these amazing tools--meditation, art, a great brain, good friends. We are all aswirl with all of life's demands aren't we...sometimes I think that is what can fuel the creativity, when we make the space to let it speak. One task on the list at a time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jen! What a gift to find your reassuring words here!

    ReplyDelete